By gastric bypass patient, Jill Herman
My need for bariatric surgery began with the realization that due to a long history of obesity in my family — my mother losing total mobility and ending up in a nursing home at only 70 years old, and my father having open heart surgery at about the same age — I needed a life change or my future would have a similar outlook.
I had serious weight-related medical conditions.
- I was diagnosed with severe diabetes which was still uncontrolled with the use of insulin and oral medication.
- The diabetes was destroying my liver, causing cirrhosis and other complications.
- I needed medication for high cholesterol.
- I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and couldn’t even take a ten minute nap without my sleep apnea machine as I would not be able to breathe.
- GERD (acid reflux) was destroying my esophagus by causing Barrett’s Esophagus disease.
- I could not participate in physical activities, such as riding a bike or dancing at a wedding, because I would become winded too quickly.
And so I began my weight loss journey in New Jersey with Dr. Seun.
Dr. Seun gave me all the information I needed by outlining the different weight loss surgery options and recommending what he felt would best meet my needs (but never pressuring any decision). He and his staff were there for me no matter how long it took. I started my journey a year before I had the operation because I wasn’t ready until the following year. (I would never have waited if I only knew!)
During my pre-op tests, it was discovered that I needed my gallbladder removed and stones had lodged in my duct. Dr. Seun preformed the gallbladder surgery and worked side-by-side with Dr. Gupta. They guided me through a series of procedures and connected me with surgeon specialists to remove the stones as, apparently, not only am I a unique individual, but so is my anatomy.
The day my health turned a corner.
On the day of my bariatric surgery, Dr. Seun made my family and me feel at ease. Due to the GI issues, we decided that the gastric bypass was the best weight loss surgery for me. Dr. Seun performed the surgery which took many extra hours due to my unique anatomy.
After surgery, he followed up with me very carefully. He determined that there were complications and he needed to go back to the operating room for another long surgery. I made the doctor and his nurses earn their money that day!
The end result was success.
Although I was in ICU for several days, Dr. Seun watched over me until I could go home and my new journey could finally begin.
One year later, I am 90 pounds lighter than my starting weight when I first entered Dr. Seun’s Freehold office a year ago.
How my health has improved since weight loss surgery…
- I am insulin and diabetic-medication free. My AIC is non-diabetic.
- My liver is monitored every 6 months and my numbers have improved.
- I am off medication for high cholesterol.
- I no longer need a sleep apnea machine at all.
- I can dance all I want and ride my bike a little further every day.
I still have a way to go on my journey, but with the continued support of my family, the wonderful team at Dr. Seun’s office and the CentraState support group of all his patients — and him, of course — I know I can make it.
Dr. Seun’s personal encouraging words through his Facebook page also make me feel like he is with me every day through this journey. The best is yet to come!
About Dr. Seun Sowemimo, MD, FACS
Dr. Seun is a top NJ bariatric surgeon and the medical director at Prime Surgicare, with offices in Freehold serving Monmouth and Ocean counties. He is board-certified, Columbia and Yale University fellowship-trained in advanced laparoscopic, bariatric and general surgery.
To learn more, visit his YouTube channel or call Prime Surgicare at (732)-982-2002.