Up to this point, you’ve been on all the diets and tried different exercise plans, but ultimately you just weren’t satisfied with the results. You’ve probably checked out ObesityHelp.com to learn as much as you can about the different surgical weight loss operations:
Hopefully, you’ve had a chance to talk with others who’ve undergone one of these procedures. So far, so good.
Bariatric Surgery: Your First Steps
Here’s an outline for next steps that I recommend to anyone considering bariatric surgery:
- Discuss bariatric surgery with your family physician and make sure you’re up-to-date on any chronic medical conditions you have and all the medications you are using.
- Attend a New Bariatric Patient Information Seminar to get the facts you need to know about the process. Be sure to bring a list of questions for the bariatric doctor and take notes as needed.
- Talk with your medical insurance carrier to find out if weight loss surgery is covered on your insurance plan. Keep in mind, in my New Jersey practice, Prime Surgicare, our staff is happy to help you with this step.
- Meet with a surgeon who has significant expertise performing gastric bypass, gastric sleeve and gastric banding. You’ll talk about what procedure might be best for you and how the operation can help alleviate or minimize obesity-related health conditions, such as:
- sleep apnea
- heart disease
- Talk with your bariatric doctor’s dietician to establish a strategic nutrition plan both before AND after your operation.
Once you’ve gathered this information and taken these 5 first steps, you’re positively rolling on your bariatric weight loss surgery journey! To learn more, take a look at our weight loss surgery checklist.
Bariatric Surgery Can Change Your Life for the Better
The bariatric surgery timeline is not a 1-2-3 process. But once you commit to the procedure and get rolling, you’ll feel a strong sense of excitement and momentum building. Why? You’ve recommitted to your health, your longevity and your daily quality of life. You’re preparing to change your life ─ for the better.
About Dr. Seun Sowemimo, MD, FACS
“Dr. Seun” is a top NJ bariatric surgeon and the medical director at Prime Surgicare, with offices in Freehold serving Monmouth and Ocean counties. He is board-certified, Columbia and Yale University fellowship-trained in advanced laparoscopic, bariatric and general surgery. To learn more, visit his YouTube channel or call Prime Surgicare at (732)-982-2002.